Friday, December 26, 2008

Virtual Desktops Double Your Workspace - FREE

Virtual desktops make it possible to enjoy the convenience of multiple desktops on your Windows computer screen, without the expense (or hassle) of using a multiple-monitor setup. Long enjoyed by Mac users and Linux fans, virtual desktops recently made it to Windows.

Best of all, with free product releases by Microsoft and Source Forge, you can enjoy the advantages of a multiple desktop environment at absolutely no charge.

A virtual desktop program allows you to open multiple desktops and operate different programs on each one. They enable you to group your work and cut down on clutter (and open windows) that often make it difficult to accomplish anything on your computer. For example: on one virtual desktop you might open all your email-related windows, while on another your display your word processor and desktop publishing programs to create a flyer. The two biggest advantages of operating with multiple virtual desktops: (1) less clutter and (2) greater organization.

Each virtual desktop software I tested gives you at least two different ways to quickly switch between multiple desktops. You either use a series of hot-keys (key combinations such as "ALT" + 1), or you use your mouse with a small clickable widget in your computer's task bar tray (lower right for most Windows users) to navigate between desktops.

Either way, once you get the hang of it, you'll find yourself switching between your new-found desktop real estate like an old pro.

In fact, the only disadvantage I found in using virtual desktops as opposed to multiple monitors is that you can't see all your open windows at the same time. But, is that really a disadvantage (since my head would explode looking at 2 or 3 monitors at the same time or trying to organize it all on the same desktop)?

After using a virtual desktop program on my own computer, I found myself falling into a few distinct patterns of use. I found that first thing in the morning I set up one desktop for "communications" with e-mail, instant messaging, news feeds and Skype account. Then, based on what I need to get accomplished during the day, I usually create another desktop for creative work like writing and researching with my word processor, mind mapping software, and other online research tools. Finally, I also create desktops based on specific situation, like when I need to create a video or do a webinar. I can open just the programs I need without cluttering up my mind or my desktop with things I don't need for the immediate task at hand.

As an aside: you can easily use v-desktops to hide your unauthorized computer use from your boss if he appears unexpectedly. Just pre-load one of your desktops with spreadsheets and "work" that makes you look like a dedicated employee. Then, when he pokes his head in your door, you can instantly swap over to the "work" desktop with a hot key when he walks by your cubicle! (Okay, maybe this last one's a little extreme.)

2 Free Options for Windows Users Desktops v1.0 by MicroSoft -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881.aspx

This program runs in your system tray and is super-small in both file size and resources used. It allows up to 4 desktops to operate at a time. I did notice that my mouse scroll wheel did not work on any but the main desktop screen (a minor inconvenience, but still worth noting).

VirtuaWin - The Virtual Desktop Manager - http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Another free program offered by Source Forge, Virtua-Win allows you to operate up to 9 desktops simultaneously. I couldn't determine if this software runs on Windows Vista or not (I don't operate a Vista machine). VirtuaWin is more configurable than the Microsoft Desktops software, offering not only more desktops, but also more options for hot keys to launch and switch between desktops.

Both software packages come free of charge and work with Windows XP. They rate a hard look if you find yourself either wishing you could organize your work better, or if you don't have the budget or space to allow a multi-monitor setup.

0 comments until now.